Two years ago we organized a meeting `Recent Trends in the study of Compact Objects – Theory and Observation' at IIT Guwahati, in order to discuss the recent developments in the research of compact objects, and to present them to the students of the North-East. The success of this conference prompted us to contemplate to hold it at regular intervals. The year 2015 is the centenary year of general relativity and coincidentally a year marked by ongoing efforts to launch observatory class Indian multi-wavelength satellite ASTROSAT, ongoing installation of 4 meter class optical telescope in Devasthal, Nainital or, joining in international projects like TMT, SALT, SKA or INDIGO by Indian scientists. It is slated to be a year like no other for Indian astronomy in general and compact object research in particular.
This year we would like to organize RETCO-II at Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Science (ARIES), a research institute geared up for research in Astrophysics & Astronomy and Environmental Sciences. ARIES is snuggled in the lower Himalayas very near to the picturesque town of Nainital. ARIES has two 1 meter class optical telescope and the 3.6 m telescope is being installed right now. It would be an opportunity for young researchers to discuss with leaders of this subject, have a first look at real life telescopes and enjoy the pleasant weather of Nainital in the month of May.
Very meagre fund is available for deserving and needy participants.
Topics of the conference are:
- Multi-wavelength investigations around stellar mass black holes, neutron stars and white dwarfs - X-ray binaries and CVs.
- Multi-wavelength investigations around super-massive black holes at centres of galaxies, under the unified scheme for quasars, AGNS, Blazars, Seyferts.
- Theoretical studies and numerical simulations of accretion-ejection system around black holes, transonic solutions, Keplerian discs etc.
- Numerical and theoretical studies of accretion onto high magnetic field systems, accretion torque, emission mechanisms, neutron star magnetic field.
- The phenomena of Fast Transient in Super giant X-ray binaries.
- Strong gravity and neutron star equation of state.
- Multi-wavelength study of astrophysical jets.
- The signature of the birth pangs of compact objects – GRBs and Supernovae.