I hail from Kolkata - the city of Joy, India. I did my schooling from Julien Day School and Naktala High School (+2) and then bachelors from AJC Bose college (under University of Calcutta) and masters from the University of Calcutta. I did my PhD from S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences under Prof. Sandip K. Chakrabarti. I submitted my thesis in Sept 2002 but obtained the degree in 2003. I did two postdocs in Katholieke University of Leuven, Belgium (2002-2004) and C. N. University, Daejeon, South Korea (2004-2007). I joined in ARIES in 2007 and I am a faculty in ARIES since then. Total of four students have obtained PhD degree under my guidance (Dr Rajiv Kumar, Dr. Mukesh Vyas, Dr. Kuldeep Singh & Dr. Shilpa Sarkar). Mr. Raj Kishor Joshi is about to submit his thesis, while Mr Sanjit Debnath & Mr. Priyesh Kumar are the current PhD students in my group in ARIES. Dr. Arpan K. Mitra has joined the ARIES relativist group as a post doctoral fellow recently.
Research Interest and Description
My main research interest is behaviour of matter around compact objects like black holes and neutron stars. Detailed study of accretion and outflow generation around these objects, how the outflows interact with surrounding medium, radiative processes which are dominant in system etc. We employ methodologies using semi-analytical techniques and also full blown numerical simulation. We have developed simulation codes using relativistic equation of state of the plasma and these codes can be and are being used to study accretion disc and jets.
1. R. K. Joshi, Indranil Chattopadhyay : The Morphology and Dynamics of Relativistic Jets with Relativistic Equation of State: 2023, ApJ, 948, 13
2. S. Sarkar, K. Singh, Indranil Chattopadhyay, P. Laurent : Two-temperature accretion flows around strongly magnetized stars and their spectral analysis: 2023, MNRAS, 522, 3735
3. R. K. Joshi, Indranil Chattopadhyay, D. Ryu, L. Yadav; Exact solution of one dimensional relativistic jet with relativistic equation of state; 2021 MNRAS, 502, 5227-5244
4. S. Sarkar, Indranil Chattopadhyay, P. Laurent; Two-temperature solutions and emergent spectra from relativistic accretion discs around black holes; 2020, A&A, 624A, 209
5. K. Singh, Indranil Chattopadhyay; Study of relativistic magnetized outflows with relativistic equation of state; 2019, MNRAS, 488, 5713-5727
6. Indranil Chattopadhyay, D. Ryu; Effect of fluid composition on spherical flows around black holes; 2009, ApJ, 694, 492-501